|Tools: Mailman - Time Online - Chat Room - News Ticker - eTools - Network News - Order CD|
|Services: Online Classes - Free Classes - Message Board - Classifieds - Online Help - Bridge Camera|
|About Us: About Us - New User Info - FAQs - Account Change Form - Tech Info - Fast Wireless Internet|
|Local: Email Directory - Webpages - Shops - Movies - Golf - Pics - Gov't - Gov't Minutes - Discuss|
|Starting Places: Excite - Yahoo - Hotbot - Go - Lycos - About.com - Looksmart - Altavista - Search - Google|
|Cool Stuff: Auctions - Agriculture - Genealogy - Health - Sports - News/Money - Software - eTools - Ask.com|
Did you get a New Compaq Computer recently?
Does your Windows 98 computer to lock up when an incoming call is received when no communications applications are running?
Here's the fix:
First: Make sure your computer is a Compaq Presario model number: 2262, 2264, 2266, 2275, 2278; 5010, 5015, 5020, 5027, 5030, 5032, 5035; 5037, 5038, 5050, 5062, 5150, 5151, 5152, 5155, 5170, 5177, 5190, 5192, 5110, 5140, 5147, 5600 (Rockwell Modem only), 5610, 5612, 5630, 5635, 5660, 5665
If you aren't sure if your computer is one of these listed, BEFORE YOU DOWNLOAD THIS FIX, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Compaq General Information:
SOFTPAQ NUMBER: SP8897 PART NUMBER: 351815-00H TITLE: Presario Specific Models Integrated Modem V.90 Upgrade VERSION: 4.1 CATEGORY: Driver EFFECTIVE DATE: January 8, 1999 SOFTPAQ UTILITY VERSION: 3.x SUPERSEDES: SP7953 DESCRIPTION: Unpacks files that are used with the Presario models mentioned above to upgrade the drivers in the integrated modem. The new driver version is 22.214.171.124. Enhancements/Fixes In this version: - Improves V.90 performance - Improves V.90 connections to US Robotics Total Control Modem Banks - Improves performance when playing Quake and Quake 2 over the Internet In previous version (126.96.36.199.1): - Corrects errors in connect rate messages when connected to a V.90 modem at the Internet Service Provider (ISP) - Fixes Windows 98 issue that causes computer to lock up when an incoming call is received when no communications applications are running
HOW TO USE (PRINT THIS OUT):
1) Minimize your browser Right click on a blank space on your desktop and choose NEW and then FOLDER
2) The File will be Named NEW FOLDER until you type write over the blue letters with COMPAQ FIX. Click on a blank space on your desktop to get your mouse out of the renaming the file mode. Maximize your browser again so you can follow the rest of these instructions.
3). Click Here to download the SoftPaq to a directory on your hard drive.
4) Click on 'save program to disk' and click OK
5) In the SAVE AS window, at the top make sure it says 'desktop', if it doesn't, click on the little down arrow to the right of the name and choose desktop. You'll then see a list of items in the large box, double click on the COMPAQ FIX folder and then click SAVE.
6) The download may take some time. When the download is complete. Close your connection to the Internet. Double click on your folder COMPAQ FIX and you'll see a file in there called SP8897(1).exe- Double click on it to run the program.
7) follow the on-screen instructions to unpack the files. The number of files to be created and total file size is displayed. You will be given the chance to specify the target directory for the files, or default to the download directory.
8) . Double click on the file PRESETUP.EXE. This will ensure that the old drivers are properly removed.
9). Double click on the file SETUP.EXE to automatically remove the old drivers and install the new drivers. Follow on-screen instructions.
10) After a successful installation, you may double click on MY COMPUTER, then double click on C DRIVE., with the C DRIVE open, click and hold onto the COMPAQ FIX folder and drag it over to the C DRIVE folder and let go. This will move the folder off your desktop.
Go to the alternate phone number page and pick a local number for you to call to reach our 56k modems. Try calling the 56k number to connect.
Let us know if you have any questions, We'll be happy to install this patch for you directly and for no charge if you bring your Compaq Computer to the Old Radio Shack in Greenup and let them know you want the Compaq Fix for your computer.
Questions? e-mail email@example.com.